About the parallel corpus
This site consists of a search engine that allows the user to search an aligned parallel corpus of legislative texts. The corpus contains circa 45 million words, 23 million in Irish and 22 million in English. Terms/phrases can be searched in English or in Irish and a list will be generated of each segment in the corpus in which this term or phrase is to be found. The user can then view this list of segments side by side with their equivalent segments in the other language.
The corpus was created as an internal resource for the editorial staff in Fiontar & Scoil na Gaeilge to facilitate terminological work on the LEX project. Permission was received from the European Commission and from the Government of Ireland to make aligned segments from the following available to the public:
- European Union Legislation (Treaties): Irish-English aligned material from European Union Legislation.
- European Union Legislation (Regulations and Directives): Irish-English aligned material from European Union Regulations and Directives.
- Other non-legislative European documents: Non-legislative documents from the European Union (preparatory acts and other non-legislative texts).
- Acts of the Oireachtas: Primarily comprising of acts from the period 1922-2003 along with a selection of acts aligned in subsequent years.
- Order of Business (Dáil Éireann/Seanad Éireann): Non-legislative documents from The Translation Section, Office of the Houses of the Oireachtas. Primarily comprising of press releases, titles, motions, resolutions, financial resolutions and statements.
- Constitution of Ireland: 1937 Constitution.
- Irish Statutory Instruments:
- 97 Statutory Instruments from the year 1978.
- The majority of Statutory Instruments from the years 1980 and 1981.
- Official Languages Act 2003 (Section 9) Regulations 2008 (SI No. 391 of 2008).
- 14 Statutory Instruments from the years 1999, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012 provided by The Department of Justice and Equality.
- Statutory Instrument No. 477 of 2011.
- Irish Court Rules:
- The District Court Rules (SI No. 93 of 1997) provided by the Department of Justice and Equality.
- The Circuit Court Rules (SI No. 510 of 2001) provided by the Department of Justice and Equality.
- The Rules of the Superior Courts (S.I. No. 15 of 1986) provided by the Department of Justice and Equality.
Fiontar & Scoil na Gaeilge will add to the corpus in the future. A list of every aligned text contained in the parallel corpus can be found here.